The Magic of Candles
Candles are a beautiful thing there is no doubt. They provide light, warmth and beautiful smells to help you relax and unwind from the hardest of days. Candles have been used in spiritual worship and meditation for thousands of years and a good candle (as simple as it sounds) can provide a great deal of happiness and comfort.
Smell is one of the most powerful senses that can trigger memories, emotions and even alter behaviour. Nice smells are closely linked to our perceptions of other people and our ability to connect with others. Humans have been using perfumes for hundreds of years to make themselves smell nice which indicates how important smell is in human interaction. With smell being closely linked to emotion, cosmetic and home-ware products increasingly use scents that encourage positive emotions.
Common scents linked to relaxation are vanilla, rose and lavender. A study carried out on 140 women showed that inhaling lavender scents decreased anxiety and depression significantly over three months(1). Smells can also be important in making us feel ener-gised, as is the case with citrus and less stressed like pine.
Candles help us reconnect with nature and be at peace. The fire of the candle promotes calm and reminds us of the outdoors whilst the smells help us unwind. For a great way to relax using your candle as an aid why not give this Five Step Guide a try;
- Light your ZENii essential oil scented candle and let it burn for half an hour to ignite all the flavours. Make sure it is on an even and steady surface away from anything flammable.
- Find a seat in the room that is comfortable or lie down if possible.
- Close your eyes and take ten deep breaths counting in for three seconds and out for three seconds. Try to focus not just on the breath but on the scent of the candle too.
- Take a minute to reflect on your day so far and remind yourself of something good or amusing that happened. Try to really focus on this moment.
- Take a minute to make a small mental list of three things that you feel grateful for. It can be something small like being grateful that you didn’t miss your bus this morning or some-thing bigger like being grateful for having a loving family. Hold onto these thoughts, cherish them, live in the moment with them. These are your powerful and happy thoughts. Recall them in moments of stress or sadness.
Repeat this small meditation exercise at moments of stress or difficulty and you will be amazed at how mush stress and anxiety can be reduced through the practice of mindfulness.
The beautifully crafted ZENii Wellness candles are ethically sourced and hand poured in England. They have a unique blend of plant wax infused with essential oils and wonderful fragrances that gives your home the essence of nature. Unlike paraffin candles, the plant wax burns without releasing harmful chemicals into the air. Enjoy up to 90 hours of burn time from the large 3 wick candles. Made from 100% recycled glass and natural essential oils.
(1) Maryam Kianpour,1 Akram Mansouri,1 Tayebeh Mehrabi,2 and Gholamreza Asghari3. (2016), Effect of lavender scent inhalation on prevention of stress, anxiety and depression in the postpartum period. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. Mar-Apr; 21(2): 197–201.